Friday, May 13, 2011

Senior Games/Junior Games

Every year we excitedly travel to the Albemarle High School to watch Grandpa and Grandma compete in the Senior Olympic Games. They usually compete in a ton of events, for instance, this year my mom is doing 21 herself! And while I wish we could cheer them on at every event over the two weeks of competition at different venues, we usually just make it to the high school to watch the track and field events. Grandma doing shot put.Grandpa doing softball throw.Jeff just showing off his softball throw, so unfair when the youngest competitor is 60! Our little cheering section!Everyone got into the spirit. Ironically enough, it was at these games that we found out about another athletic competition, the Junior Hershey's Games. The Hershey's games are for 9-13 year olds from anywhere in the region to come and compete in similar track and field events. This year Calla was old enough to enter, and chose to run the 100m dash the 400m and the standing long jump. Our little track star. Her cheering section.Grandma in the 100m, while I don't have a picture of Calla running it, I did find out that she beat Grandma's time by 2 seconds! I would still love to see them go head to head:) Calla thoroughly enjoying the 400m. If you look closely, neither foot is on the ground! Both family members did great, Grandma won 17 golds and 4 silvers! Calla also did well placing first in the 400m (which was adorable because she leaped, yes leaped like a little gazelle the back straightaway much to the audience's delight!) Calla also placed third in the 100m and the standing long jump. She was even invited back on June 11th to defend her 400m title. Both long jumpers did fantastic in competition!
Calla with her blue ribbon for first place. We look forward to seeing her run the 400m again on June 11th. Although, I may be watching it on video!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Great job to all of the athletes! I am always so amazed by your mom, she has more energy than any grandmom I know...actually more than most people I know.period! And great job Calla! So exciting that she gets to go back to defend her title!