Although it is no excuse, our laptop battery went dead two weeks ago and we just got the replacement this week. Sadly, that is the main reason I haven't blogged, no wireless access! If I wanted to get a post out, I would have had to sit at a desk and type without the ability to move around, gasp! It is like when your cordless phone goes out and you have to use a corded phone...it is just primitive.
With so much ground to cover, I am going to go with the old adage "a picture is worth a 1000 words". So here goes a lot of pictures with few words, probably in random order.
Each year my parents compete in the Uwharrie Senior Games (aka the Senior Olympics) and this year was no exception. After a week of events ranging from Bocce Ball to Shot Put, the final medal count was, Grandma - 17 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze (in 19 events) and Grandpa - 3 gold and 2 silver (in 5 events).
One of our favorite things to do in the summer is strawberry picking. There is something about picking the fruit yourself that makes it just a little more special. In Micah's case, eating them right off the vine was what made it special to him:)
Our big project this year...swingset addition. The race for who can get their shoes on the fastest and therefore get a swing first is over! Jeff and Steve added two swings and a trapeze bar to our existing swingset giving everyone, even Nehemiah, a place to play.
Basically, we went to the state park around dinner time and let the kids play at the lake, have a water gun fight, swing in hammocks, cook hot dogs and smores over the bonfire and sing corny songs all before it got really late. Then we packed up our sleepy children and headed home, where I bathed them in a warm tub and tucked them into their soft beds in their air conditioned rooms...they will thank me when they're older!

The boys had fun playing in the hammocks while the girls giggled while they "slept".
SMORES - the best part of camping out.
Daddy helping Micah roast his marshmallows.
Hmmm, hope you wanted those well done!
Finally, Memorial Day, wow something current. The kids have been looking forward to a holiday picnic with another family from church, the Walfords. We spent most of the weekend manicuring the backyard and finishing small projects so that we could fully enjoy it on Monday. With lots of kid friendly yard games and hot dogs to grill, it was shaping up to be a great picnic. Then the rain came...and came...and came. Our hope for an outdoor party was completely and utterly gone. So what do you do inside with 4 adults and 11 children (did I forget to mention that the Walfords have 6 children)? You improvise!
We played lots of Wii. The boys really got into it, and I mean all the boys!
Ginger Walford, mother extraordinaire, had the brilliant idea to stop and get a few packs of Silly Bandz for the kids to trade while we waited out the rain. That kept even the littlest ones busy for quite some time.
Finally after lunch, dessert and snacks we all settled down for a quick picture. From oldest to youngest, and left to right, William, Elizabeth, Calla, Andrew, Noah, Christopher, Bella (hiding), Carolina, Micah, Peter and Nehemiah.
I think this month we hit all the major summer events, campout, picnic, strawberry picking, beach trip (previous post), street fair.... Hmmm it seems like I am missing something, oh yeah, school is out next week and then the fun will really begin. Let's hope I can get the pictures up before July. Fingers crossed!!
1 comment:
I don't know why I'm just seeing this post now, but all of the photos are GREAT! Looks like you guys had a fantastic May! I love the picture of all the kids on Memorial Day, what a great bunch! I also love the swing-set addition, what a great idea! Hope that you guys are having a great start to summer!
Post a Comment